Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Racial Profiling Lives On

As I read the article it began to make me a bit furious because some of the examples of actions that Bloomberg stated did actually happen to me. During my sophomore year me and a friend were walking down to this new Dollar Tree that just opened down the street from our houses at the time. After receiving applications for a job at this Dollar Tree, me and my friend head back home where we unknowing are being followed by a Santa Barbara County Sheriff. Now me and my friend didn't notice but the officer was literally following us on the side of the road in his patrol vehicle until he finally drives up and pulls us to the side saying in a very sarcastic tone "So what... you two couldn't notice me trying to flag u both down?" Now me and my friend were confused because we never noticed that the Sheriff was even following us? Then he began to question us asking our names, home address, and if we were on probation or not. Now, this whole situation was completely irrelevant from the beginning because why did this officer have to stop two Latinos who are not doing anything at all but walking home and question them like they were doing something wrong? It makes me mad to know that some officers take there badge a bit to seriously, its in uncomforting because when u read on every patrol vehicle they all say some quote like "protect and serve" well who are they protecting and serving if there basically harassing 2 teen aged Latino boys for no apparent reason. Its one thing if we had an ankle brace on, dressed like thugs and or in a bad neigbor hood but we both hold clean records, dressed like any average teen, and were walking in a very calm and quiet neighborhood in Orcutt, CA ? This article to me just shows how certain people don't see the other side of the badge and how it effects everyone in there own way. Til this day I shall never fully respect a Sheriff or Police official, now I'm not saying I'm going to be rude and disrespectful, but if the officer is going to be cool with me, I'll be cool with them about the situation, l but if they are going to be rude like the Sheriff that pulled me over then yeah, they can basically kiss my rear end! Police officials shouldn't base there suspicions on race, because race doesn't commit crimes, people do such as guns don't kill people, people kill people.

No comments:

Post a Comment