Monday, February 17, 2014

My Vocabulary #2

Street Cred:
Street credit, credit for creating good street art.
Ex.
The graffiti artist got major street credit for his billboard piece.
Reality:
The world or state of things as they exist.
Ex.
I put my view of reality in my art work.
Critique:
Criticism on someone else's art.
Ex.
The teacher critiqued the students work after they completed it.
Shapes:
Patterns and forms of things.
Ex.
The graffiti piece has many different shapes.
Texture:
The look and feel of the piece, shading for example.
Ex.
The shading texture of the scales on the fish painting makes it look so real.
Medium:
The genre or art form you are using, like painting or sculpting.
Ex.
My favorite art medium is street art and graffiti.
Background:
The area that appears farthest from the observer on an art piece.
Ex.
The background complements the piece.
Biomorphic:
Taken from nature, structured based on life.
Ex.
The sky painting had such a real biomorphic look to it.
Bleed:
The part of an image that extends beyond the edge of a page and is trimmed off.
Ex.
The thick paint bleed as it was sprayed on the canvas.
Calligraphy:
Art of clean beautiful writing like cursive for example.
Ex.
The artist has great calligraphy skills in cursive.
Color Wheel:
A reference chart for colors.
Ex.
I always look at a color wheel for direction of color choice.
Concept:
Idea of the art work or meaning behind it.
Ex.
I bird with its wings spread over the country exposed the concept of the piece well.
Content:
What's in the art piece.
Ex.
The bird adds good content to the piece.
Color Scheme:
Choice of colors for an art piece.
Ex.
The graffiti artist has a great color scheme in their work.
Choke:
A method of attending the thickness of a letter or solid shape.
Ex.
The graffiti artist always chokes the tips of his letters to make a crisp point.
Composition:
The way parts are arranged.
Ex.
The letter positions in the piece add great composition.
Crafts:
Art works that are both decorative and functional.
Ex.
Paper airplanes are a great craft.
Crop:
To cut off a portion of a shape.
Ex.
I had to crop the letter a bit to make it match with the others.
Culture:
Behaviors, ideas, skills and customs of a group of people.
Ex.
The culture in Santa Maria is different to San Luis Obispo.
Design:
To choose and arrange elements to form an art piece.
Ex.
I had to design a logo for Dr. Preston's Open Source Learning system.

2 comments:

  1. You are the 3/5 student I decided to look at your blog for today's homework assignment. Your blog seems very bright and bland however I personally like it because things are easy to locate and easy to read! That's a plus in my book, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you should totally join my network because I know your interest is art and mine is human computer interaction. I think if we were to collaborate, I would be able to help promote you through building a site for you,etc.

    ReplyDelete