Monday, February 17, 2014

Resource Notes #4

In my research I looked up my ultimate favorite graffiti artist of all time, "AROEMSK." Aroe, born in the 70's, grew up in the UK, and got completely inspired by the whole early 80's Hip Hop scene. After watching the 'Buffalo Gals' video one night on TV with his brother, their lives changed forever having them focused on writing (graffiti), b-boying, djing, just about anything Hip Hop related. But through the Hip Hop Funk, writing was Aroe's passion. He changed his life around after getting into serious legal issues he created a music group known as "First Down" and recorded a series of records which eventually brought them a great fan base then parted ways into their own directions. He began to get deeper into his art, but seems like life got in the way and painting had to be put aside until things finally got managed. I love his opinion on graffiti, because it's very true when he says, "Many artists claim they do this for themselves and hate the fame and attention-it's part of the game as far as I'm concerned. Not for one second do I kid myself that the writers that painted the subway cars of New York did it for any other reason than to make a name for themselves and get the kudos and street fame in order to feel elevated among their peers." He does graffiti for the pure reasons I do and way much more, definitely the main reason why he's my true idol. To learn about him I looked up www.aroemsk.com.

1 comment:

  1. You should add some really nice and appropriate graffiti art as a background, like the skateboard that you showed me.

    ReplyDelete