Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Literature Analysis #2 Nonfiction: The Lean Start Up by Eric Ries

Topic/Events:

1. My book is called "The Lean Startup," by Eric Ries. This book is honestly an entrepreneurship guide for creating successful businesses. Although I have not completed the book, I can definitely say so far in the book I've discovered that it's all based on this one business idea and all the stories in the book are represented as examples of success stories. The book is more than just a guide. In my opinion, if you want entrepreneurship broken down in a more simpler form for you to understand, this book is the best way to go.

2. I believe the author wrote about this business idea known as the Lean Startup to get out to the public. His idea is based off of a new idea of business using customer feedback as a bases behind their work. And I think his message is to spread the word on such a smart business solution.

3. What got me from the get go into reading this book, was the bright royal blue cover, it stood out to me on the floor of my cousin's room. She let me borrow it after reading the back of the book cover and discovering it's a book about entrepreneurship. This book stirred my curiosity so much that I'm hooked on this new idea of business.

4. I found the book to be very realistic do to the fact that the author behind the book is from Silicon Valley and is one of the creators behind the 3D interactive media site, IMVU. Which is funny, because I remember seeing the commercials of the IMVU site when Myspace.com was still the cool social media site.

People:

1. The author didn't create any characters, it seems his interpretation is all on their observations and experience. He writes basically on what happens and doesn't hold back. This book is for pure information and guidance.

2. For one, Eric Ries the author is one character in this book, because he narrates the whole book and uses his past experience with the Lean Startup as his primary example. Another is Taiichi Ohno and Shigeo Shingi which are credited with the development of the lean manufacturing revolution at Toyota.

3. What makes these people interesting is their business stories. Like all great entrepreneurs, they each had hits and misses through out their careers. But they always focused on the learning aspect of business. Discovering that to produce a great product people want, you have to run tests with the people to figure out what ideas fit or not while  learning to build a better product. Learning is the key to the whole Lean Startup process.

Style:

1. The author used a journalistic style, because through out the book he talks about the Lean Startup through examples of past success stories. He just writes what he has learned about it and how to go about it.

2. The author focuses more on the subject of the Lean Startup and how it works. The author breaks down the idea into multiple sections; part 1 Vision, part 2 Steer, and part 3 Accelerate, with smaller sections in between each part to break it down in more detail. The overall effect is to get the reader to understand the concept of the lean startup and how it works.

3. He doesn't really use much to demonstrate tone or create a mood, the book just goes back to the lean startup and it's examples. But you can definitely read the author's enthusiasm, because every time he explains a story, he breaks it down to show how the lean startup works for every story and how it can always be applied to any subject.

4. The author's attitude toward the subject of the book, I would describe as informative with real life experience to back it up and make it more interesting. You can tell the author is excited to express the lean startup, because it's a great success plan for any business or entrepreneur trying to expand their thinking.

5. The author offers tons of lean startup success stories ranging from big companies like Toyota to smaller internet based companies like Turbo Tax and IMVU. These success stories set the standard that the lean startup is much more than just a business idea, it's real life thing bring used and put to work everyday. In a way you can say pretty much these success stories were needed to prove a point and they did just that.

Enduring Memory:

     The things I expect to remember from this book is the concept of entrepreneurship and the idea of the lean startup. The lean startup makes so much sense to me, as an artist it gives me ideas on how to go about my art in a more business matter. I've figured our I can use my art as a product to revenue money, because not everyone can draw but everyone loves art. If I give the people my art skills and just charge them a fee for my work then it's all working our with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment